According to Jan Długosz’s Chronicle, on 11th November 1411, a year after the battle of Grunwald (1st Battle of Tannenberg), King Władysław Jagiełło arrived at Niepołomice where on 25th November he held a review of his army before the triumphant return to Cracow.
In 1902 a small mound was erected on top of Wężowa Hill in tribute to the children of Września. Eight years later members of the Sokół (Falcon) Gymnastic Society took the initiative of restoring the mound to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the battle of Grunwald. The mound was to be 6 meters high, but the enthusiasm with which the idea was received led to the height being increased to 14 meters and the diameter to 30 meters. Upon completion of construction work in 1915, a concrete obelisk was placed on top of the mound.
The top of the mound offers a great panoramic view of the Niepołomice Industrial Zone with the skyline of Cracow in the background.